A band backdrop is a key component in your band’s marketing efforts. In fact, at Northcoast Banners we believe that stage backdrops are the number one priority for a new band. A quality band backdrop or stage scrim that is designed well can make a huge impact on stage and can brand your music group effectively.
- 70/30 Vinyl Mesh
After printing hundreds of custom band backdrops and stage scrims for bands, we have learned that the most ideal material for bands is vinyl mesh. It consists of a 70/30 weave, and it is very rugged. This provides your band with a rugged banner that can be easily folded and transported on tours; and at the same time, artwork looks beautiful on this material. It is also lightweight, which means that it is easy to set up with a simple stand or cords. This material is also our cheapest option.
Solid vinyl holds colors beautifully, but at 13 ounce per square yard, they weigh quite a bit. In comparison, vinyl mesh weighs only 9 ounces per square yard. For banners that are larger than 5’x5′, 3’x5′ and 3’x7′, we recommend vinyl mesh. Vinyl mesh (also known as stage mesh) is also easier to care for; you can roll it up or fold softly without worrying about wrinkles. Solid vinyl band backdrops or scrims tend to wrinkle a lot more easily.
Dye sublimated cloth band backdrops look beautiful. This is a cloth material, and colors pop beautifully on this substrate. It washes in the washing machine just like a bed sheet, and it’s super light at only 5 ounces per sq yard. On the flip side, the cost is a little higher than 70/30 vinyl mesh band banners, and it is not as rugged as the vinyl mesh. After working with hundreds of bands over the years, we have learned that vinyl mesh is the ideal choice for 90 percent of bands. We print all our band banners with high grade digital printers. To learn more, please contact us. We will be happy to help you with your decision for your band backdrop.
70/30 vinyl mesh is perfect for a stage backdrop or band scrim that stands in front of the speakers or other sound emitting devices on stage. This is because the material allows sound to pass through, since it is 70 percent material, and 30 percent holes. On the flip side, the audience doesn’t notice the difference; from a distance of even a few feet, the eye cannot discern the ‘holes’ – the eye only sees the material and the artwork printed on the stage backdrop.
Size Considerations For Stage Backdrops And Band Scrims
After years of working with bands who play in a wide variety of venues, we have learned a great deal about the sizes of band banners in relation to the size of the venue. Click here to discuss sizes with Mendy. Here are some popular sizes for venues where your band might play.
- Small bars and clubs – Our stage scrims for bands work perfectly in small venues like bars and clubs. Our most popular band scrim is a set of two 6’x6′ scrims. This pair also looks great in larger venues and outdoors. For a stage backdrop that you will set up behind your band, we advise a 8’x8′ backdrop or an 8’x10′. These backdrops look fantastic on stage in tandem with the stage scrims, or alone.
- Medium sized clubs and small outdoor events – Consider an 8’x10′, 12’x15′, or a variation of these sizes. The advantage of a stage banner that is wider than it is long is that it creates a powerful stage presence for your band with a wide, landscape effect.
- Outdoor venues like music festivals or large indoor venues – BIGGER is better! If there’s room in your budget for a large banner and room on stage, think about 20’x15′, 25’x20′, or larger. When you’re playing at a music festival, you will need a very large stage backdrop to make sure you’re logo is seen even by those fans lurking far away at the hot dog stand on the other end. We can print literally ANY SIZE you need – contact us for your custom band backdrop!
The cost of your stage backdrop or band scrims depends on two key factors:
- The size of the band backdrop
- The material of the stage banner
The size of the band backdrop depends on the venue where you will be playing. Are the majority of your gigs in small clubs, with 50 – 100 people watching? If yes, a pair of 6’x6’s may be perfect. If you will be playing with crowds of 150 or more, consider a large stage backdrop like some of these. For materials, please refer to the section above.
The price of your band backdrop or stage scrims will not be affected by:
- Finishings, such as pole pockets and grommets
- Amount of colors
Northcoast Banners includes pole pockets along the top and bottom and grommets every two feet, all four sides — free of charge. We can print any color, for no additional cost; up to to 256,000 colors!
We’re happy to help – contact us today and we’ll guide you through the process and make it quick and easy.